Since our founding more than 25 years ago, Maher Duessel has been committed to fostering a culture of diversity at our firm. A key feature that has distinguished our firm from others in the industry is the number of women professionals within the firm at all levels, including the senior manager, principal and partner levels. Our latest statistics in this area are:
- Our Firm’s President is a woman.
- ½ of our Partners are women.
- 72% of our management group (supervisors, managers, senior managers, principals, and partners) are women.
- Over 60% of our workforce overall is comprised of women.
While we are proud of these statistics, we realize that we have more work to do to ensure our firm is a welcoming environment for an even broader demographic of professionals. Therefore, we are proud to announce our participation in the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA’s) Diversity and Inclusion Program for the Western region of Pennsylvania. Through our participation, we will be taking on initiatives to further expand opportunities at Maher Duessel for all qualified professionals so that no barriers exist, or are perceived to exist, for recruitment and retention.
Among other initiatives, we intend to:
- Communicate clearly our desire for diversity and inclusion through our stated core values, website, and other appropriate communications.
- Invite minority accounting students to our firm for a networking/lunch panel discussion.
- Participate in PICPA’s Inspiring Future CPAs curriculum to promote the accounting profession to selected students in the Pittsburgh Public School system. This curriculum contains activities such as lessons on budgeting basics, setting up a business, and what life is like as a CPA.
- Represent our firm on the PICPA’s Diversity Committee.
- Conduct in-house training sessions and circulate articles and training materials to support our goal of enhancing the diversity of our workforce.
- Promote career opportunities within the firm within a broader network through additional advertising online and by participating in recruiting events specifically geared towards minority students.
Our participation in this program will be ongoing so we encourage you to follow us on Linkedin and our Twitter feed for updates.