Direct payments from the U.S. Treasury will soon be available for states, territories, tribal governments, counties, and metropolitan cities. These entities should prepare certain information in advance as outlined below. By undertaking these preparatory steps, eligible entities will be better positioned to receive payments from the Treasury in a more timely manner after the program is launched. As soon as possible, take the steps listed below to access funds for your entity if you are a county or metropolitan city.

1. Ensure your organization has a valid DUNS number. A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number used to identify an organization and is issued by Dun & Bradstreet. The federal government uses the DUNS number to track how federal money is allocated. A DUNS number is required prior to registering with the SAM database, which is outlined below. Registering for a DUNS number is free of charge. If your entity does not have a valid DUNS number, please visit or call 1-866-705-5711 to begin the registration process.

2. Ensure your organization has an active SAM registration. SAM is the official government-wide database to register with in order to do business with the U.S. government. All Federal financial assistance recipients must register on and renew their SAM registration annually to maintain an active status to be eligible to receive Federal financial assistance. There is no charge to register or maintain your entity SAM registration. If your organization does not have an active SAM registration, please visit to begin the entity registration or renewal process. Please note that SAM registration can take up to three weeks; delay in registering in SAM could impact timely payment of funds.

3. Gather your organization’s payment information, including:

-Entity Identification Number (EIN), name, and contact information
-Name and title of an authorized representative of the entity
-Financial institution information (e.g., routing and account number, financial institution name and contact information)

If your organization is an eligible non-entitlement unit of Local Government, such as a township, borough, or city with a population of less than 50,000, you will receive a distribution of funds from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Non-entitlement units must have a valid DUNS number to meet reporting the requirements under the program. If your entity does not have a valid DUNS number, please visit or call 1-866-705-5711 to begin the registration process.

For additional information and updates please refer to the program page on the U.S. Treasury web-site. Please contact us if you have any questions.