Employers Must Use Updated I-9 Form by January 22, 2017
Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has published a revised version of
Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
Employers must begin using the revised version by January 22, 2017. Form
I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of
individuals hired for employment in the United States. Changes in the new
- The addition of “smart” features, making the form more user-friendly and easier to complete on computers. This includes drop-down lists, calendars for filing in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, and options to clear the form and start over.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used’.
- A dedicated area for including additional information.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
The new form and instructions can be found on the USCIS website.